Job Location: Calgary
Job Type: Full Time
Join our #TeamBuilt culture at Kindred Construction! We are a British Columbia based General Contractor and our Construction Management Team is focused on expanding our projects to Alberta.
We currently have one state of the art commercial project under going pre-construction located in Bowness, Calgary. As the Project Managers you develop and execute project plans and schedules and ensure the highest safety and quality standards.
Reporting to the Project Director, Project Managers have a proven track record for meeting budgets, schedules, and quality and safety requirements, while interacting closely with the project team, owners, consultants, subtrades, Kindred senior management and supporting team members.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrates leadership in health, safety, and environmental protection on the project. Applies the requirements of the Kindred HSE Standards, applicable OH&S Acts, regulations, and standards with all employees and subtrades.
- Implements, executes, and manages Kindred’s project management systems and procedures including digital platforms, project filing system, cost accounting system and project directory.
- Prepares and negotiates the CCDC construction contract governing the project at hand in close collaboration with the VP of Construction.
- Strategically interacts with Clients, evaluating and taking ownership of all external stakeholders, while using courtesy and tact to mutually advance the relationships.
- Leads and is responsible for project initiation, planning, execution, monitoring & controlling, and closing the complete project lifecycle.
- Identifies and pro-actively manages opportunities and risks to optimize the possible impact on schedule, financial, quality and safety targets.
- Is accountable for accurate and transparent financial reporting and forecasting, and manages the documentation necessary to support the internal monthly reporting.
- Directs and leads (Sr.) Project Coordinator or Administrator through general administrative and record keeping functions including the review and distribution of documentation; preparation of correspondence, meeting minutes, submittals and RFIs; and maintenance of files, logs, drawings, and specifications
- Pre-qualifies Trades during pre-construction, assessing their project suitability based on past performance and current standing. Responsible for managing or assigning trade procurement packages and negotiating and executing the respective subcontracts.
- Leads Client and Trade meetings as directed, pro-actively manages the relationship and directs the expected outcome of these meetings to monitor and support the projects ongoing progression and success.
- Monitors onsite construction activity and manages communication between sub trades, construction site staff, office staff and clients where necessary.
- Creates and/or facilitates the Project Quality and Safety Program to ensure project materials are supplied and work is completed accordingly
- Reviews and approves invoices and progress claims prepared by Project Coordinators; and manages release of holdback requests and certificates of completion with a comprehensive understanding of the BC Lien Act. Responsible for all project legal matters in close collaboration with the VP of Construction and company legal counsel.
- Oversees the change order management process by reviewing and approving change requests submitted for approval and strategically negotiates any disputed items.
- Creates and maintains the project schedule in line with the prime contract with input from the extended project team. Evaluates and directs changes based on tracked project milestones and updates the baseline schedule with milestones and completion dates.
- Oversees and is accountable for complete project closeout, including Substantial Completion, Occupancy, Handover, and demobilizing site. Monitors the documentation process in line with the prime contract including warranties, O&M manuals, and occupancy requirements.
- Has established strong working relationships with trades, suppliers and industry professionals.
- Provides strong leadership to construction team members, capitalizing on individual and group strengths to ensure project targets are achieved.
- Advances the development of high-performance project teams through supervision, training, coaching, and mentoring. Ensures regular feedback is shared with staff including formal quarterly feedback of employee progression.
- Performs other duties as required to manage a project or support business operations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- 5+ years of related work experience as a (Sr.) Project Coordinator or 2+ years as a Project Manager. A minimum of 2 full project lifecycles on commercial or residential construction projects in excess of $20M or single-family projects in excess of $10M.
- Completed post-secondary education in Construction, Engineering, or related discipline an asset.
- Eng., PMP, Passive House, LEED, GSC, Mass Timber or other technical certifications an asset.
- Training in project specific technical areas (i.e. Mass Timber, Passive House, etc.) is a requirement.
- Comprehensive knowledge of construction documents, drawings, specifications, costs, budgets and current construction practices and methodology.
- Ability to communicate clearly and collaborate with multiple project stakeholders, anticipate stakeholder needs, and proactively identify solutions in a complex environment.
- Ability to determine a problem’s root causes, identify short- and long-term solutions, anticipate patterns and look beyond the immediate problem to the wider implications.
- Capable of anticipating constructability issues in moderate to complex situations and creating new solutions in the construction plan and schedule.
- A track record of building successful teams and promoting teamwork through motivating and coaching; skilled in facilitation, mentoring and conflict resolution.
- Strong aptitude and ability to motivate, coach, and guide other team members to progress technically and professionally in their own careers.
- Strong negotiation skills; ability to influence and persuade others to reach consensus.
- Learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learner; open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything.
- Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes possible sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
- Uses time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities.
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles and can get messages across that have the desired effect.
- Hold at minimum Occupational First Aid Level 1, or willingness to obtain OFA 1.
- Hold a valid driver’s licence and/or have ability to travel to sites you are responsible for.
Kindred Construction is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination in the workplace. We believe in the power of a shared table to bring people together in an environment of mutual respect – it is at the core of our Team Built culture. Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and existing teammates without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental/invisible disability, marital status, and any other characteristic covered by appropriate law.